Friday, February 6, 2009

Overacheiver

I told you I was the geek in the front row. Please note my Shelfari shelf on the left side of the page. Um, ah, do I get extra credit for this? (waves hand wildly from the front row)

One of the teens at the Broken Arrow branch showed Shefari to me. Now we can swap reading recommendations, even when I'm not subbing there. The obsessive-compulsive part of me loves adding books and shuffling them around. I do the same thing at home, but the online version annoys my husband less.

Oh, OK. If I don't get extra credit, I guess this is my blog for Thing #7. So here's my favorite quote about technology:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961

I try to keep that in mind when teaching the Really Basic Computer Class. And it reminds me of the first time I logged onto the Internet in college. The Microsoft butterfly, batting it's wings, looked so cool to me. How old does that make me? I also remember when web pages would just deadend. End of page -- no link out. Too funny.



Pictured: Not really me.

7 comments:

  1. You will be recognized in front of your peers & will have the chance to mock them verbally & with a ginormous trophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that my extra credit or did you just eat my fortune cookie? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Clarke quote.

    "It can't be done, Tom! It can't be done! I admit that you've made a lot of wonderful things -- things I never dreamed of -- but this is too much. To transmit pictures over a telephone wire, so that each person cannot only see to whom they are talking, as well as hear them -- well, to be frank with you, Tom, I should be sorry to see you waste your time to invent such a thing."
    [Barton Swift, in "Tom Swift and His Photo Telephone," 1914]

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This 23 Things might be worth the effort after all: discovering Shelfari. I didn't know about it and now really might have to copy it for my blahg. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Shelfari! Thanks for including it on your blog. I just installed one on mine. It would have taken a little less time had I not been quite so enthusiastic about adding books and categories to my shelf! Baby steps...baby steps. See it here! http://www.mickeylemon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you all like Shelfari! It is addictive, yes?

    ReplyDelete