Monday, February 9, 2009

Feed Me! Thing 8

So for Thing #8, I subscribed to Bloglines. After going berserk and subscribing to about a zillion different feeds, I received a nasty awakening: I was NEVER going to read all this. I started frantically deleting them, like junk mail -- or really, like email newsletters that I never intended to read.

So I scaled it back to six feeds: NYT Book Review, Publisher's Weekly, the Shifted Librarian, Yarn Harlot, Word of the Day, library.net and Tulsa Weather (careful readers will notice that's actually seven feeds -- I added one while typing this).

My initial reaction? Great idea. But I'm not thrilled with the application. Bloglines was constantly logging me out, or shoving me into their Beta version which wasn't communicating with the previous version. To find the "1000 most popular" feeds button, I had to log out and log back in. Yuck.

I've had RSS feeds before and, much like my Martha Stewart Craft A Day email, most got deleted before I read them. But not all. We'll see what survives.


Oh, and in the spirit of Thing 8, I've added an RSS feed for this page. So click the thingy on the left if you want me to feed you.


4 comments:

  1. that's exactly what I did when I set up my bloglines account- sub to everything! Wheeeeeee. Oh. I got real too although not as fast as you- I actually tried to keep up for a while... I do LOVE the yarnharlot. That and Crazy Aunt Purl are my must read knitblogs.

    go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I luuuurv your pink and green socks you posted on FanniePie in November. Is that KnitPicks yarn?

    I've never read Crazy Aunt Purl. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand being overwhelmed by too many RSS feeds. With some feeds, I have set my brain on permanent scan mode as I know there probably won't be anything good but I'm not ready to part with it yet. I've also tried the "new" Bloglines but gravitated back to the old version.

    ReplyDelete